Saturday, August 14, 2010

Meet My New Arrival!

At 3am in the morning on the 6th of July (3 weeks and 3 days before i was due to have my little bundle of joy) i woke from a dream about the TV show Masterchef. It involve a mixing a bowl of liquid that kept spilling over the edge, and i woke with a start with an urge to go the the toilet, i rang to the toilet and felt a rush of liquid and looked down and saw a trickle of water running down my let.

“Troy, i think my waters just broke!”

“What, are you sure?”

After seeing the state of my undies, he was sure!

After calling the hospital who said not to hurry in, i got some work organised that i had been doing and put a few final things in my bag. I has spent the last 2 days furiously cleaning (and crying when my husband wouldn’t help me – i must have seemed like a nut job!) and packing my hospital bag, i remember thinking to myself “i am having my baby this weekend” even though it was not due for weeks, strange!

I was feeling excited, but scared. Was the bub to early – would there be problems? I thought back to all the times during my pregnancy i wished it would come early, thinking i can’t possibly get any BIGGER! I had already put on 20 kilos and received looks of surprise and horror when i told people i still had 4 weeks to go. Had i wished my baby out to early? Did i walk and clean to much the precious days? Had i done something to cause this? Is everything going to be okay? As well as “Thank god i left week the previous work, at least i got 1 weeks off, instead of the month i was suppose to have!”

Troy and i travelled to the hospital at 5am, i got nervous when he decided to take a whole new, untried route to the hospital but he drove calmly and slowly (unusual for my husband).

We arrived at the Maternity ward and was taken to the birthing suite, it had a lounge area with a couch and TV, a multi-adjustable bed in another area with a TV and large shower. I was put on a monitor watching foetal movement and the baby’s heart rate. I weight for my Obstetrician who luckily was on call that day, she arrived at 8am and suggested that i get induced, she said most people’s whose waters brake before contractions don’t go into natural labour.

So at 9.50am i was put in the Oxytocin. Contractions started slowly over the next two hours, from a “period pain” like cramp that developed into excruciating painful contractions. I used gas, which totally whacked me out at the start. Troy laughed at me because i was talking funny. I remember having to turn the radio of because the sounds were vibrating in my head.

At around 1pm i was checked and i had only become 4cm dilated and was at the end of my pain threshold. The “epidural” word came up, i was hoping to avoid this, and try pethidine but we were worried about how the pethidine would after a premature baby, would it make it hard for it to breath? I was told it is normally 1cm an hour so i still had 5-6 hours to go, i said “give me the epidural!” The relief was quick and for the first time in 3 hours i relaxed and smiled. The contraction pain was gone but i still felt pressure and discomfort during each contraction which over time got worse and worse. I could still lift my legs up! I had expected to be completely numb from the waist down.

The pressure got worse and worse and the need to push came.

Sitting my hands behind my thighs and my legs in the air i pushed and pushed and pushed.

I felt like my pelvis was being ripped apart, i screamed in pain after each push. I was fully dilated and it was time for bubs to come.

But he didn’t.

My obstetrician came in and pushed and pushed again and still nothing. After 1hour of pushing i was tired and exhausted and in excruciating pain constantly.

“I can’t do it again”

“Just breathe and relax” – “you can do it Hon”

But Bubs was just not coming out – forceps were tried, which felt like i was being ripped apart

Still no luck.

Next suction, and after what felt like 10 contractions and what felt like someone trying to pull my spine out through my vagina we had success.

“Do you want to touch it’s head?’

I reached down and feel a slimy, boney ball. That was my baby!

After another push his upper body was pulled out. I could see it’s little body, all white and slimy, it’s curled up arms and screwed up face under the bright lights. It’s legs were still inside me, and i used every last bit of energy i had (which had actually run out about 2 hours ago) and with a final contraction and push it was out. At last a feeling of relief from pain and a little bundle of arms and legs were placed on my chest.

Poor bub and his big forcep mark on his face

”Have you looked what it is?”

I glimpsed down, the umbilical cord was tangled up in its legs but i didn’t see any ‘bits’.

“I think it’s a girl”

The cord moved out of the way.

“Are you sure?”

“It’s a boy! Hi Max!”

A boy my husband and i had created, that i carried around in my belly for 36 weeks and 3 days, that had kicked me in the middle of the night & performed side stretches that made me jump, had turned my boobs into saggy moosh bags and my belly into a taut uncomfortable ball.

He was out of my belly and lying on my chest, with as little screwed up face covered in gunk.

Born at 6.25pm on the 5th of July
37cm Head Circumference
47cm Long

His breathing was short grunts, he was taken by the nurses and checked over and it was decided that he needed to be taken to the Special Care Nursery and check over and put in a humidicrib to get his breathing right. Troy went along and i was left on the bed, alone, with my placenta sitting in a tray close by. I didn’t feel alone, scared or annoyed that everyone had left me, i just felt relief and shock.

I rang my best friends, Brett and Bron and don’t really remember what i said just that i was so happy.

Troy came back with all good news, i just had to weigh for the epidural to wear off so i could go and see him at the nursery.

After a shower i was wheeled to see Max. He was in a humidi-crib with tubes and sensors everywhere. He was o cute and sweet with his bruised and battered head from the delivery. His chubby cheeks, little cried that remind me of lamb and his constant hiccups. His little eyes slowly opening to gaze into mine for the first time.

His sore head from the suction

Over the next few days as he woke up more i started feeding him and replacing his tube feeds, by the Thursday i was getting 5/5 marks for his feeds and they took the tubes out, he was on the road to coming home on Saturday but he stared getting yellow – VERY yellow so he had to go under some UV lamps for 24 hours, with little covers over his eyes to help get the jaundice under control.

Everytime i had to leave him in the nursery and go back to my room i cried. It was amazing how much love i had already for my little man, it ached inside to be away from him. I was told when i was pregnant that having a child is like having a piece of your soul outside your body – in your child. This description scared me, like i would be losing a part of myself, but all i feel is full of love and this overwhelming urge to protect my son. I joke with Troy that i am a tiger and he is my cub !

I am daunted by my new job as mother, worried i am going to make mistakes, that i won’t know what to do, but i know i am going to do the best i possibly can and i couldn’t love anybody as much as i love Max and Troy right now.

I am the luckiest woman in the world.

He looks drunk after i feed him :-)

This was 6 weeks ago! How the time has flown, my little man is growing ferociously, he is getting so heavy. I feel like i have spent the last 6 weeks sleeping, breastfeeding and trying to get to slept. Everything is going well just spending my time looking after Max. He is a good baby, doesn't cry heaps, sleeps lots. I can't wait for when he smiles, (he only smiles in his sleep at the moment) i love dressing him up and taking photos of him.

The thankyou card photo i got printed out

These are my two favourite outfits.

Puppy Feet

Polar Bears

and Stripes

Anyways - just thought i would share my joy with you all, i am sure in the near future i will have spare time again to craft but at the moment i am crafting a baby!


Bellgirl said...

Oh yay and congratulations! All I can say whe I read this post is that I love being the mother of a boy. Lots of loving times ahead!

Katy said...

Congratulations he is a stunner! Oh such a brilliant name. Can you here me clucking? Enjoy your boy x

ArtMind said...

Big congrats Katy! What a beautiful little boy you made! I'm sure you'll be an excellent mommy - enjoy all the special moments!

CGDK said...

oh Congratulations, well done on your huge effort and welcome little MAx to the (blogging) world.
He's lovely!
It must have been horrid to see those awful forcep marks on his perfect little head -poor darling, so glad they have faded away...
Glad you made it thru the feeding haze to let us know the news too!!!
best wishes for the coming months.

Rie said...

OMG! Congratulations, he is adorable & you are a trooper!

You made me cry & cry - I'm almost 6mths preggers (due in dec) and reading what you went thru -I just cried so much my partner came over to check to see if I was ok & when I explained he then asked if your bub was ok!

Thanks for sharing your story, it's appreciated!

Liam's Mummy said...

Congratulations on your new baby boy! He's beautiful.

CurlyPops said...

Congratulations Katie - that is such wonderful news. What a little cutie!

willywagtail said...

A big congratulation to you and Troy and Max too. Your telling of the birth reminded me of my first one and 22 years later I still think it is amazing that she survived under my care but how wonderful that they do. And you always love them and more amazingly they always love you too. Cherrie

Jessica said...

Wow what a rollercoaster your birth turned out to be! Max is a real cutie and I'm sure he is keeping you so very busy at the moment. Reading your story made me think back to when my own little boy was born 3 weeks early - even though it was the hardest day and a half of my life it was also the best!

Heather said...

Gabe was just asking about you the other day, and I thought it was soon that he was due. Looks like he was anxious to meet you all early! Katy, he is absolutely precious! And take heart, the first delivery is usually the'll be smooth sailing next time :)

Thanks for sharing your story!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! So glad he is healthy and happy.

Robyn said...

Congratulations! I meant to comment the other day, but my little one wouldn't let me. :)
Sorry your guy had to suffer those battle wounds, but he's adorable!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Congratulations he is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at could post it.


Heather said...

Katy, you have been on my mind these past couple of months, with all the news from Australia lately.

Hoping all is well in your part of the world, and that Max is growing big and strong. Share some pictures!

Much love from the U.S.!

angela said...

Wow, your story of Max's arrival brought tears to my eyes. What a precious and beautiful little boy. I hope all is well and little Max is smiling lots more now.

I had my Luka four weeks early, what a whirlwind we just weren't prepared at all. Finished work on Friday, in labor Sunday. So much for my month off!

Thank you for sharing your story.
Angela xx